Friday, July 6, 2012

The Magicians

Author: Lev Grossman
Date: 5/27/12
Rating: 4
Series: #1

My Review:

The Magicians is a wonderful coming of age story about a boy who embarks on a journey to learn magic. From the stories of Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia, this fictional novel is the adult version of what we expect children of Hogwarts to have really gone through…more death, more rules, more sex, and real psychological issues that change a person as they grow up.

It’s written as a fiction novel, not action, not romance, a subdued urban fantasy novel that personally took me 100 pages to get through before I started liking where it was going. As the story progressed I couldn’t take my eyes away from the pages. It’s good. The adult like themes made the experience real in my eyes…nothing was sugar coated, nothing was left out. Finding out that magic is real and that a fairytale land was more tangible than originally thought was exciting.

I can’t wait to read the second novel.

Becky <3 



No comments:

Post a Comment